This program is component for the (Res)MA History Programme. It’s not accessible for BA pupils.
This Research Seminar is targeted on the archives regarding the VOC or Dutch East Asia business. It partly functions as a practical, more certain counterpart regarding the Literature Seminar. It relates to a number of the basic archival dilemmas talked about here, but details them when you look at the context of a seventeenth- and 18th-century Dutch-Asian commercial enterprise. Whilst the VOC records formally comprised company management, in training in addition they functioned as a huge repository of valuable and information that is secret a variety of occasions in early-modern Asia.
The many staying VOC archives are comprised of several different kinds and even ”genres” of papers, including maps. Further, they partly overlap with materials that fall away from confines among these collections, but they are closely pertaining to them, such as for instance personal documents, missionary records, travel reports, as well as pieces of art. These diverse materials had been produced with various purposes, are comprised and organised in various ways, and information that is present various perspecitives.
This seminar considers and compares all of these sources from both an archival and a historiographical perspective. In addition actively seeks similarities and differences when considering, from the one hand, the VOC archives and, having said that, archives of contemporaneous Dutch organizations and of other European trading that is overseas. Pupils who cannot(old that is read Dutch may make use of such other European documents, as an example those for the English East Asia Company.
The pupil has acquired:
- 1 The power to separately determine and choose literary works, making use of conventional and techniques that are modern
- 2 The capability to individually determine and select sources, making use of conventional and techniques that are modern
- 3 The capacity to analyse and assess a corpus of sources having a view to handling a certain historic issue;
- 4 the capability to analyse and assess literary works with a view to handling a certain historic issue;
- 5 the capacity to separately formulate a definite and research that is well-argued, taking into consideration the concept and approach to the industry and write my paper for me also to reduce this concern to available and workable sub-questions;
- 6 the capacity to individually put up and perform an initial scientific study that makes a share to existing scholarly debates;
- 7 the capacity to provide a definite and well-founded dental and written report on research outcomes in proper English, whenever required, or Dutch, fulfilling the requirements regarding the control;
- 8 the capacity to be involved in present debates into the specialisation;
- 9 the capacity to provide constructive feedback to and formulate criticism of this work of other people in addition to capacity to assess the value of such critique and feedback on one’s very very very own work and merge it;
- 10 (ResMA just): The capability to be involved in a conversation regarding the theoretical fundamentals associated with the control.
Learning objectives, regarding the specialisation
- 11 Thorough knowledge and comprehension of just one of the specialisations or subspecialisations in addition to for the historiography for the specialisation, concentrating specially from the after; into the specialisation Archival Studies: archiving in a colonial context; understanding of the importance of archiving procedures for the method by which a culture handles its documents heritage as a whole and its own historic practice in specific; disclosure, including electronic disclosure, of archives within the wider history sector.
- 12 Thorough knowledge and comprehension associated with the theoretical, conceptual and methodological areas of the specialisation or subspecialisation at issue, with a specific consider the immediate following: within the specialisation Archival Studies: theoretical fundamentals of archivistics; evaluation and choice of archives.
Learning goals, related to this extensive Research Seminar
- 13 Thorough knowledge of the organization for the VOC archives and how it even compares to the organization of closely associated materials (personal papers, missionary records, etc.), to archives of contemporaneous Dutch institutions and also to documents of other European trading that is overseas.
- 14 Thorough comprehension of exactly exactly just how these different principles that are organisational regarding the goals and audiences of the materials additionally the kind and tone of data they contain.
- 15 the capacity to analyse and compare archives developed within an early-modern context that is dutch-non-Western.
- 16 (ResMA only): the capacity to put up and execute initial research that raises brand brand new concerns, pioneers brand brand new apporaches and/or points to brand brand brand new guidelines for future research.